What books to read in 2019?? I just finished Michelle Obama’s new memoir in Spanish. The Spanish translation was carried out by three translators, and I was impressed with their ability to capture her voice and style. I’m now re-reading Lucia Berlin’s short stories in A Manual for Cleaning Women.
A few more books I hope to read this year are…
- Margaret Atwood’s new novel, The Testament, which is arriving in September.
- Such Small Hands by Andrés Barba was released by a new-to-me publisher called Transit Books in Oakland, California. It was voted one of the best books of 2017 by The Guardian.
- Birthday Girl by Haruki Murakami begins on a rainy night in Tokyo. I’m already hooked because the setting sounds like classic Murakami.
- Cristina Rivera Garza’s The Taiga Syndrome is bringing this author into the spotlight.
- Nordic noir also makes my list, especially during the chilly winter months.
What are you reading right now?
Image courtesy of backgroundcheckall.com.